Pepper soup is another Nigerian delicacy that is highly medicinal with aromatic spices which can be eaten any time of year especially during periods of recuperation, after illness, child birth and as real treat to invigorate the heart and soul.
The Nigerian pepper soup is a popular Nigerian soup recipe commonly made with goat meat but in modern times, people have been known to make pepper soup with chicken or fish. Turkey has also been seen once or twice in some African pots.
It is such a versatile recipe as it can be prepared with different types of meat and fish. Thus there is Chicken Pepper Soup as well as Cat Fish Pepper Soup (popularly known as Point and Kill because people usually point to choose the fish to be killed for the soup in the fish pond).
Others include Goat Meat Pepper Soup, Cow Leg Pepper Soup and Assorted Beef Pepper Soup.
In Nigeria, people usually go to exclusive bars or restaurants to eat the pepper soup and cool off with Palm Wine.
This is because this Nigerian food recipe is believed to be prepared with ‘secret’ ingredients that only the restaurant’s chef knows about.
It’s more like the traditional American soup except that it is very spicy. Hence the name: Pepper soup. So, let’s try this African delicacy out..
Written for CometoNigeria Magazine by Gina Lisa Pate
Ehu –- 4 seeds
Chilli Pepper –(to taste)
Dry Uziza –- 2 teaspoons
Onions –- 2 medium bulbs
Crayfish – 2 tablespoons of ground Crayfish
Salt -– to taste
Seasoning – 3 Maggi / Knorr cubes & 1 teaspoon of Thyme (depends on your taste)
1. Place the pieces of chicken in a pot and pour enough water to cover the contents of the pot.
2. Add the stock cubes, thyme and onions and cook till done.
3. Cow leg is a tough meat part so when cooking Cow Leg Pepper Soup (if you want to make a meat pepper soup), you should use a pressure cooker if you have one. This will save you some gas or electricity.
4. By now, you will notice that some of the water has dried; add more water to bring it to the level of the contents of the pot.
5. Add the ground Ehu, crayfish, dry uziza, chilli pepper and salt to taste. Ehu has some spicy taste so you should add chilli pepper with care. Even though it is called pepper soup, you still want to be able to taste and enjoy the recipe itself. Too much chilli pepper will ruin it for you.
6. Cover the pot and leave to cook for 10 minutes on medium heat.
7. The pepper soup is ready.
8. Pepper Soup should always be served hot.
9. It can be eaten alone with a chilled drink by the side.